Wednesday, November 30, 2005

You're somebody special, too.

I don’t know why this story sticks in my mind, but it does. Most of DC is familiar with the exploits of Jessica Cutler – the Washingtonienne who spilled her social secrets on her blog and was subsequently discovered and fired from her Hill job because of it. There was a Washington Post article on her shortly after it all came out, parts of which have always stuck with me – particularly this little section:

From first grade through junior high, Jessica spent one day each week in a special program for gifted and talented children. Jessica and some of her schoolmates describe the program as pure free-to-be-you-and-me fun: Nobody graded them; nobody gave them homework; nobody cared if they finished anything.
Those classes left a mark on Jessica. "They tell you, 'You guys, you are smarter than most people,' " recalls Jessica, whose closest friends remain the girls she met in that program at age 7.
Jessica finds it curious that she and several of her gifted classmates became underemployed slackers with attitudes. She wonders if that traces back to the lessons they learned in the gifted program. "You kind of create your own moral universe," Jessica says. "It's like, well, I like myself. If other people don't like me, then whatever. I'm out of here."


Now, I was one of those kids who were part of my school district’s gifted and talented program. My best friend is a girl I met through that program when I was 9, and I am still friendly with some of the people who were in the program as well (not naming any names here). My husband was also in a G&T program in his school district.

I wonder how much of Jessica’s statement about the influence her G&T universe has a grain (or more than) of truth. I remember sending this article to a friend who was in the G&T program with me, asking him whether it sounded like our own lives in any way. Not the whole sexual escapades part of it – but the entitlement/superiority complex and devil-may-care attitude that I know I feel moments of (although some would probably say more than just moments ;)

Just a thought.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there fellas. I'm really into shoes and I was searching for that exact make. The prices due to the fact that the velcros are around 250 bucks everwhere. But for all I found this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I exceptionally love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy them. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

good evening everyone. I'm really into shoes and I had been searching for that singular make. The prices due to the fact that the velcros are all over 320 bucks on every page. But definitively I base this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I exceptionally want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy those. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

http://www.purchaselevitranorx.com/#6exjerseygirl.blogspot.com - buy viagra [url=http://www.purchaselevitranorx.com/#4exjerseygirl.blogspot.com]levitra 10mg[/url] levitra
levitra

Anonymous said...

woodworking plans , http://woodworkingplans1.com/#KerielokFek woodworking projects

Anonymous said...

teds woodworking , http://woodworkingplans1.com/#KerielokFek woodworking projects

Anonymous said...

Hi, buy ativan online no prescription - lorazepam online no prescription http://www.onlinepharmdiscount.com/ativan/, [url=http://www.onlinepharmdiscount.com/ativan/]ativan online pharmacy [/url]

Anonymous said...

Li, fluoxetine online - prozac without rx http://www.prozacorder365.net/, [url=http://www.prozacorder365.net/]prozac no prescription[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hi, [url=http://www.topamaxdirectonline.com/]cheap topiramate [/url] - buy topamax - buy topamax online http://www.topamaxdirectonline.com/.

Anonymous said...

4, Generic Maxalt - maxalt without prescription http://www.maxaltrxonline.net/, [url=http://www.maxaltrxonline.net/] Cheap Maxalt [/url]

Anonymous said...

4, Cheap Maxalt - generic maxalt http://www.maxaltrxonline.net/, [url=http://www.maxaltrxonline.net/] Maxalt Cost [/url]

Anonymous said...

2, [url=http://www.ativangenericonline.com/]Ativan - The Anxiety Cure[/url] - Ativan - The Anxiety Cure - ativan online no prescription http://www.ativangenericonline.com/ .

Anonymous said...

5, [url=http://www.isotretinoinonlinerx.net/] Generic Accutane [/url] - Accutane Price - generic accutane http://www.isotretinoinonlinerx.net/ .

Anonymous said...

12, [url=http://www.encuentrocubano.com/] Fluoxetine Cost [/url] - Cheap Prozac - buy fluoxetine http://www.encuentrocubano.com/ .